20,000 Words

 Words, Words, Words...and lots of coffee.

20,000 words is a rough estimate for what I've written in the past three weeks. Will this make me a better writer? Sources say that it will - that this is how you get better at anything. You practice, refine, and practice some more. I wonder, though, about what it will all mean.

As this semester wraps up, I am faced with considering the more significant challenge ahead of me: planning next year. I have not even started thinking about the classes that I will teach next year. In fact, at the time of this post, I have no idea what I am teaching specifically. However, I know it will be Creative Writing, Dramatic Writing, and 10th grade English.

In many ways, I am glad that I haven't started planning the curriculum. After this semester, the whirlwind, I want to work on culturally sustaining practices in my classroom. There are several books that I am going to read, and though the list is getting longer, I can incorporate this reading into my dissertation research. I want to make a commitment to writing every day. Balance - I am seeking that too.

There is a lot to think about, a lot swirling around in my head. I know that the relationships that I have with my students this year must come before anything else. Authentically getting to know them, their families, and their communities are the opportunities I want to start with. I want them to feel safe and valued for who they are and what they bring to the classroom. I will try to show them that regardless of their experiences with school before, we can let some of that go in the classroom we create together. I believe that they need this now more than ever.


This is the "symbol" that I settled on for the semiotic representation I was asked to make for the end of the semester in our final reflection. I chose a tree and a butterfly because Dr. Zoss said that being like butterflies was fine, but we needed to find a tree to land on. There is, after all, so much to know and learn. So finding a tree to explore in the forest is my quest going forward. Onward!

Comments

Popular Posts